of Historic Fairbanks
The two photos below are from the Waugaman Collection, and can be bought on
postcards at the Community Museum.
(They are a dime apiece or three for a quarter). Needless to
say, the images are a lot clearer on the postcards!
The top photo shows Fairbanks as it appeared in the early years. The view is
from Sampson's Hardware looking across the Chena toward town. The building with the tall
smokestack at the far right is the old Northern Commercial Company, where parking lots
The bottom photo shows how the same view, from the other side of the street
(behind the Immaculate Conception Church on
the far right) looked in the early 1950's. The Cushman Street Bridge was later replaced
with the modern, wider bridge there now. The large building with the smokestack directly
behind the bridge is the Northern Commercial Company, and they took up the rest of the
block to the west (right).