University of Alaska Fairbanks
Alaska was still a territory in 1915 when the United States
Congress set aside federal lands near Fairbanks for a land grant college.
Alaska's territorial legislature approved a statute establishing the Alaska Agricultural
College and School of Mines that first opened its doors in 1922.
In 1935, the institution
was renamed the University of Alaska.
For a quick overview of the university, visitors can join a student on a
two hour walking tour of the campus. The free tours leave from the museum at 10 a.m. every
weekday June 2 through Aug. Reservations are not necessary, though the groups are
limited to 30 people. Appropriate clothing for the weather and comfortable shoes are a
must for this tour. The tour may be canceled if there is heavy rain. For more information,
call (907) 474-7581.
If you prefer a do-it-yourself tour of UAF, maps are available at the Wood
Center front desk. This should be the first stop before going exploring. Wood Center is
located in the center of lower campus. For more information on scheduled campus
activities, contact University Relations at (907) 474-7581. Several of their
programs and facilities give
Click here to go to a map of campus, with
the University of Alaska Museum, Fairbanks circled. Their "zoomable" map can
here, or you might want to try their
University of Alaska Museum:
The museum, open daily,
features Alaska's history and cultures. Northern Inua performances featuring storytelling,
songs and athletic events from the World Eskimo-Indian Olympics runs every day. Also a
presentation on the Northern Lights can be found here. There is a small admission charge.
Call 474-7505 for information.
Large Animal Research Station:
This facility is also known as the Musk
Ox Farm. Except during the "mad cow disease scare, there were scheduled tours of the station.
They now occur 7 days a week from Memorial Day to Labor Day, including the
4th of July. There are seven 45 minute tours a day, beginning at 10 a.m.
The cost was $5 for
Platforms at the parking lot allow for all-hours viewing of the animals
throughout the year. Binoculars are recommended at the visitor display and viewing stands. The station
is on Yankovich Road, one mile from Ballaine Road (left on Farmers Loop onto
Ballaine, then an almost immediate left turn onto Yankovich. If you are
coming from the Georgeson
Botanical Gardens, turn right then right again on Miller Road, and then
right once more on Yankovich. For more information call 474-7207.
Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station:
Free guided tours of the Georgeson
Botanical Gardens are on Fridays at 2 p.m. Self-guided tours can be taken
anytime. Follow the Tanana Loop to West Tanana Drive, one mile west of UAF's lower campus.
Call 474-7433 for more information.
Learn about the aurora borealis, earthquakes and volcano research
during a free slide show and tour of the Geophysical
Institute . Tour times and directions are listed on this
page. Call 474-7798 for more information.
International Arctic Research Center
The IARC also has a tour, at 4 p.m. Again, see this
page for more information.
Poker Flats Research Range
This is the only university-owned sounding rocket range in
the world. Tours are offered, June 6, 20; July 11, 25; Aug. 8, 22: 1:30
p.m., in 2002.
Click here for more
Tours of the University of Alaska's Supercomputing
Center were offered June through August.: They were Wednesdays at 1 p.m. in 2008. Follow the link for more information.
Their own site is
The West Ridge at UAF:
This location offers one of the best views of the Alaska Range on a
clear day. Take the Tanana Loop to Yukon Drive.